Oracle is mainly focusing on ILOM hardware console for their x86 and SPARC Blade servers. Only M-series servers are having XSCF prompt for dynamic domain configuration. In this article, we are going to see how to upgrade the system ilom firmware and BIOS for x86,openboot prompt for SPARC on oracle (sun)blade servers.System administrators should maintain the latest version of ilom and BIOS for oracle(aka sun)Blade servers in order to eliminate the system failures.
You can download the firmware from oracle support website.
- Before proceeding to the blade’s firmware upgrade, operating system should be halted.Otherwise,ILOM will try to halt the system gracefully if that’s not possible,ilom forces the OS shutdown and that may corrupt the filesystems.
- Do not perform any tasks while upgrade takes place.Because ILOM enters in to special mode during the firmware upgrade and no other tasks should be interacted.
1.Enter the ILOM ip address on the web browser .You will be re-directed to below login page.
2.After logging in to the ilom, you will get the below page.
3.Click on the version tab to see the current firmware details.
4.Navigate the webpage to Maintenance — > Backup /Restore.Select the operation as “Backup” and transfer method as “Browser”. Here we can take the current configuration backup .Enter passphrase as some numbers and you need to supply this numbers during the configuration restore. Once you have done,just click on run to save the configuration.
- Firmware upgrade may take less than 10 to 15 minutes. ILOM will reset after the upgrade automatically.
- Take the backup of the current configuration.You can restore the configuration from chassis if lost the current configuration after the upgrade.
- Check whether preserve configuration check box is enabled while upgrading the firmware.
5.Login to the operating system and halt it .(init 5).
6.You can see the power status of blade in the overview page itself.
7.Again back to maintenance tab . Firmware upgrade – >Enter upgrade mode.
8.Click on the browse and provide the complete path of firmware file which you have downloaded from oracle support website.
9.Check Preserve Existing configuration is enabled or not.If not enabled , select the check bios.
Below window will popup to warn about the firmware upgrade.
10.You can monitor the upgrade progress in “current Update progress” tab .
11.Here you can see the BIOS and service processor firmware updates have been finishsed .
12.You will get the below notification saying that SP will restart.Try to reconnect after 5 to 10 minutes to get the ilom console back.
13.Once you got the ILOM console back, you can login and check the firmware version. You can see newer version of firmware will be updated.
We have successfully upgrade the Ilom and BIOS from 22.214.171.124.b to 126.96.36.199.h version.
This procedure will be applicable for all the x86 and SPARC blades which are using the ILOM. You can also use the same procedure for SUN chassis firmware upgrade as well and you no need to halt the blades for chassis upgrade.
For your information,below systems are using ILOM.
Thank you for visiting UnixArena.
Share it ! comment it !! Be sociable !!!